It is said that we are known by the food we take Land the friends we move with. Food we have plays a major role in maintaining our health and keeping us fit. A lot has been said, discussed and taught about the balanced diet we need to take on daily basis. In the indian culture and traditions, the set of delicacies we prepare and enjoy, varies as the season changes. Indian festivals are filled with the aroma of innumerable varieties of preparation. We are going to talk about a 5 superfoods to boost a healthy diet that work wonders with our metabolism and fitness.
5 superfoods to boost a healthy diet
Millet (r) is a whole grain that is packed with protein, antioxidants and nutrients. It has numerous health benefits. Millets have a higher fibre content than white rice or wheat. Idli, dosa, and chapatis are readilydigested, resulting in an increase in insulin secretion and weight gain.With millet, you eat slow and consume less because of its rich fibre content.
- Millet helps in lowering blood sugar and cholesterol level.
- It is gluten free and is an excellent choice for people who have celiac disease or follow a gluten-free diet.
- It is a rich source of calcium and is good for growing children and aging persons to strengthen their bones.
- Being rich in iron, it can cure anaemia.
- It also arrests osteoporosis and the occurrence of bone fracture.
- Provides both iron and calcium for would-be mothers.
- The antioxidants in millet help in fighting the infection.
- The magnesium present in millet helps in excellent functioning of nervous system and the heart.
Millet can be used in preparing rotis, snacks, sweets and in porridge. A word of caution for patients with hypothyroidism to choose a different grain as millet may supress thyroid function.
Green leafy vegetables and beans:
Leafy greens are low in calories and extremely nutritious. They are loaded with vitamins and minerals and hence are easily digestible. They include spinach, kale, broccoli, cabbage and many more.
Beans are nutritious and a splendid food option for diabetic people. They are a good source of plant-based protein and can reduce carbohydrate intake in a person. There are several options such as black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, navy beans and adzuki beans.
Almonds are one of the most popular tree nuts in the world. They are high in healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals and are quite nutritious.
A handful of almonds would benefit in multiple ways such as:
- Almonds are high in antioxidants that can protect your cells from oxidative damage, a major contributor to aging and disease. They are good for healthy skin.
- Almonds are high in Vitamin E that helps in lowering heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Soaked almonds are the best source for improving memory.
- Being high in magnesium, almonds assist in controlling blood sugar level and also the blood pressure.
- Almonds help in mild reduction in LDL (bad) cholesterol, potentially reducing hunger.
- Being low in carbs and high in protein, almonds help in reducing hunger and thus lowering the overall calorie intake. So, they are very effective in losing weight.
A word of caution is that the people with nut allergy should avoid eating almonds as they might get hives, swelling and develop difficulty in breathing.
Dinka, Gond is an edible gum made from a resin derived from the axle-wood tree’s bark.It is available in crystal form of pearly yellowish translucent colour. katira, a crystalline herb which is also known as Tragacanth gum is obtained from the sap of plants called locoweed. It has amazing dual properties of cooling in the summer and heating in the winter. On soaking in water, it changes its appearance from crystalline to white jelly. It is tasteless and odourless. Gond is common to find grannies mix it with fresh lime juice to beat the heat in summer. It is used as an emulsifier and thickening agent in a lot of food items like ice cream, salad dressings, sauces etc.
The health benefits are as follows:
- It is considered to be a warming food and helps generate heat in the body. It is usually eaten in cold weather of winter months.
- As it is bone strengthening, it is recommended during pregnancy and lactation.
- Gond Katira (soluble dietary fibre) has amazing cooling properties and is often used to prepare a drink which cools the body in summer season averting a heat stroke and nose bleeding.
- Gond katira has purgative property that stimulates bowel movement and keeps digestive system intact. It gives relief from both constipation and diarrhoea.
- It increases the secretion of immune cells, strengthening our system to fight disease and infection.
- The sap has anti-aging properties and delays the onset of fine lines and wrinkles. It also helps treat acne, dullness, pigmentation and any other skin related problems.
- Rich in calcium, magnesium and protein, it is good for bones, lubricating the joints and connected tissues and builds up immunity.