Kala Chana Chaat | Black Chickpea Salad is a nutrition packed made with black chickpeas, crunchy onions, tomatoes, cucumber, boiled potatoes and spices. This refreshing salad has fresh and tangy flavors. It can be enjoyed as a great protein rich breakfast or snack. Vegan & gluten free.
It takes just 10 minutes to prepare this delicious salad with pre-cooked chickpeas and boiled potatoes. This salad is perfect to make with leftover chickpeas. At my place its favorite of all so whenever I make Kala Chana Curry or Sookha Kala Chana, I cook some extra chickpeas, so I can then make this salad.
Kala chana is an Indian black chickpea, also called Bengal gram. They are smaller in size, have a rough exterior and a nuttier flavor than light brown chickpeas. However they can be used in the same way as the lighter chickpeas.
Black Chickpeas are a powerhouse of nutrients. They are rich in protein, fiber, vitamins and have a low glycemic index which helps to regulate blood sugar. They are an important part of the vegetarian diet of many Indians.
In India you ll find in every grocery store. In the US, black chickpeas are available at Indian grocery stores or on Amazon. You can also substitute them with white chickpeas
This salad is very easy to make with the basic ingredients you might have at home. The only main ingredient is black chickpea, which I use pre-boiled in this recipe.
Soak the channa over night. Then pressure cook for half an hour atleast.
- This is a no oil, no sugar recipe
- It is high in protein and fiber
- Black chickpeas are low in carbs
- Vegan & Gluten free recipe
Kala Chana Chaat Recipe (Black Chickpea Salad)
- 1 cup Kala Chana (Black Chickpea) boiled
- ¼ cup Red Onion diced
- ¼ cup Tomato diced
- 1 green chili optional
- ¼ cup cucumber chopped
- ¼ cup boiled potatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp Mint leaves
- 1 tbsp Cilantro leaves
- ½ tbsp Lemon juice
- ¼ tsp Black salt (Kala namak)
- ¼ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder or another mild red chili powder
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala
- ½ tsp Dry Mango powder (Amchur)
- Salt to taste
- Add the boiled black chickpeas to a bowl. Add green chili, onions, cucumber, boiled potatoes, tomatoes and spices to it. Stir well.
- Add mint leaves, cilantro leaves and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Taste and adjust salt as needed
- You can add veggies of your own choice also. Some even like to add raw mango and capsicum.
- Adjust spices to your taste. Skip green chili and red chili powder to make it non spicy, especially for kids.
- This salad can be made with boiled white chickpeas, green chickpeas or sprouts too.