Bhel puri recipe | bhel poori | bhel puri chaat | bhel recipe is a popular Indian savoury snack made of puffed rice and vegetables tossed with tangy chutneys.
It’s a quick and easy snack to make at home, and it’s often served in paper cones at roadside stalls. Bhelpuri is also available at most Indian restaurants and is served as a tangy and crunchy teatime snack.
Bhel puri has a strong association with Mumbai and is the dominant snack on Mumbai’s beaches, such as Chowpati and Juhu.
Ingredients that are frequently used
- The vegetables used to make bhel puri vary by region, but the most common ingredients are boiled potatoes, diced onions, and tomatoes. Some people like to add diced cucumber and sprouts as well.
- Sev, which are savoury thin crunchy noodles made of chickpea flour, are another essential ingredient in bhel. Sev is both mixed into the bhel and used as a garnish.
- Aside from this, you can add roasted peanuts, paapdi (thin crunchy wafers), mixed namkeen, and other ingredients to bhel to add flavour and crunchiness.
- After that, the mixture is spiced with salt, chilies, and chaat masala.
The dish is finished with tamarind chutney and coriander chutney, which bind the ingredients together and give the bhel its characteristic sweet and spicy flavour.
Suggestion for Serving
If you don’t serve the bhel right away, it will become soggy. If making for guests, prepare all dry and wet ingredients separately and then combine just before serving to keep the bhel crunchy.
Bhel puri recipe | bhel poori | bhel puri chaat | bhel recipe
|Total Time: 15 mins|
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins
Nutrition (per serving)
Ingredients For Bhel Puri Recipe
- 2 Cups Puffed Rice (Murmura/Mamra)
- 5-6 Paapdi (Crunchy Salty Wafers)
- 1 Tablespoon Roasted Peanuts
- 1/2 Cup Sev (think crunchy noodles made from Gram Flour)
- 1/2 Cup Onions
- 1/2 Cup Boiled Potatoes
- 1/2 Cup Tomato
- 1 Green Chilli
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Coriander Leaves (Dhania)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Tamarind Chutney (Imli Chutney)
- 2 Teaspoons Green Coriander Chutney
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chaat Masala
Bhel Puri Recipe: Step-by-Step Instructions
- In a large mixing bowl, place the puffed rice. 5-6 namkeen papdi pieces, roasted peanuts, and sev You can also add roasted chana dal, bundi, or mixed namkeen.
- In a mixing dish, combine the boiled potato, diced tomatoes, finely diced onion, and fresh cut green chilli bits.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the red chilli powder, chaat masala powder, and salt.
- Combine the tamarind chutney (imli ki chutney) and green coriander chutney, as well as a dash of fresh lemon juice, in a mixing bowl.
- The bhel puri is ready to eat. Before serving, garnish with sev and fresh coriander leaves (hara dhaniya).